Friday, April 9, 2010

My Spring/Summer Reading List

When I was little before I learned how to read, I loved to be read to. There are so many picture of my 2 or 3 year old self sitting in a family member's lap and being read to. My parents are HUGE readers. My dad is known by name at our library and goes there daily. I grew up reading. At our old house, I would sit on top of our shed in our backyard and read all afternoon.
Lately I have realized something. I do not read nearly as much as I used to. I leave books unfinished. I get caught up in my busy life and never take the time to curl up with a good book and just read in silence. This life is so full of distractions - television, computer, cell phones, loud music. Instead of reading, I go to movies. Instead of contemplating, I text. Instead of enjoying silence, I run from it and fill up my life with as much noise as I can.
This spring and summer I am going to change this habit of not reading that I have formed. I am compiling a reading list. I hope to finish it before the end of the summer. If not, I will continue into my freshman year of college.
At the moment I am reading 2 books, both by Joshua Harris: Not Even A Hint and Boy Meets Girl. In addition to these, here is my reading list:
1. Do Hard Things - Alex and Brett Harris
2. Dissapointment with God - Philip Yancy
3. Desiring God - John Piper
4. A Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren
5. Crazy Love - Francis Chan
6. A Young Woman's Walk with God - Elizabeth George
7. Understanding Intelligent Design - William Dembski and Sean McDowell
8. Same Kind of Different as Me - Rob Hall and Denver Moore
9. Passion and Purity - Elizabeth Elliot
10. Dug Down Deep - Joshua Harris
11. The Quest for Love: True Stories of Passion and Purity

2 comments:

  1. wow. that's an intense list. you've got some great books there. be sure you leave enough time for contemplating as you read. you will need it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely contemplate :) blogging my thoughts on everything I read

    ReplyDelete