Sunday, May 16, 2010

Thirteen

It was a date. We walked around that duck pond side by side; talking at times, and other times completely silent. I looked up at him; tall, dark, and handsome. I smiled. It was dusk and the warm summer air was comforting. We sat on the bench underneath a willow tree facing the pond; watching the ducks and the geese as they swam around. He turned and looked at me, I knew he had something to say; something serious. He took something out of his pocket and held it in front of me. It was a box; a small black box. I took it, opening it slowly. It was a ring. You might be completely confused right now. You might think I am engaged. I am not. This even happened when I was just thirteen. And that tall, dark, and handsome man I was on a date with was none other than my dad. It was soon after my 13th birthday and the ring was a purity ring. At the time, I had never heard of a purity ring. Ever. I didn't know what it was or what it signified. My dad did explain to me however. It was a reminder for me. A symbol of the purity that I had and that I was going to keep. This little event that happened when I was thirteen is still very special to me. Although it wasn't a wedding proposal, it almost felt like one. It was a proposal. I felt like my dad was asking something of me. "Ali, will you promise to keep your purity? Will you accept this ring as a reminder and a symbol of that promise?" It was wonderful. Most girls wear their purity ring on their left ring finger; the finger where fiances wear their engagement ring and the finger where brides where their wedding ring. At first, I wore my ring on my right index finger. Not because I didn't feel that it was the steps before the previous rings I mentioned, but because the ring was too large for that finger. I did grow however and soon I wore it on that finger. For five years I wore it, until October of 2009. That is when I lost my purity ring. Now, I had lost it before this, but I had found it easily. This time, It seems, I have lost it for good. I think about it almost every day. I lost this promise..this symbol that my dad gave me one special night. It meant so much to me. I know, it is only a ring..only a symbol. Just 2 nights ago I cried while talking to my friend about it. She told me that the ring is just a "thing". I haven't lost my dad or the request from him to stay pure, and I haven't lost my promise. I only lost the ring. She is right. I am still sad..but I cling to that promise and the memory of that night with my dad. That is what is special.

2 comments:

  1. praying for you still. Maybe we can have a search party soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ali, that is hard! I hope and pray you find the ring, even though the promise remains!

    ReplyDelete