Wednesday, May 12, 2010

30 Days Naked Day 29

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22: "Test everything. Hold on to good. Avoid every kind of evil." This is the verse that convicted me when I read it in the book "Not Even A Hint" by Joshua Harris. Test everything. Here is a quote from John Wesley's mother that she sent him in a letter after he asked her "What is sin?": "Take this rule: whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, or takes off the relish of spiritual things; in short, whatever increases the strength and authority of your body over your mind, that thing is sin to you, however innocent it amy be in itself." This is definitely a "what would Jesus do?" attitude. Taking every little thing you do and asking yourself if it helps further God's kingdom, and if it strengthens your relationship with Christ. As I continued reading the book I began thinking about what I watch and what I listen to and is it pleasing to God? I also realized I cannot do this alone. Yes, of course I have Christ. He is always and will always be with me forever. But I decided I need an accountability partner. Proverbs 27:17 says: "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Hebrews 10:24-25 says: "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the custom of doing, but let us encourage one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching." Two days ago I texted my friend and asked her if she would like to be my accountability partner. I told her we would talk more in detail about it later but I wanted to ask. But I let her know that I was completely serious about it and that I wanted it to be challenging and intense. I kept telling her I was serious; dead serious; dead dead in the grave serious. Last night I wrote down an outline of what our accountability would be and the promises we would make to eachother to keep eachother accountable and the questions we would ask eachother and scripture verses. I stayed up until 1 in the morning writing and shaking with excitement. I gave the papers to my frined today and asked her to read them and let me know what she thought. Later that afternoon I recieved a text saying: "I'm in". I was thrilled. But I asked her if she was sure. She said she was positive and she already felt attacked by satan on the way home and overwhelmed. I am excited about where this is going to take us and how this is going to shape us and make us more godly women. We would appreciate pray as we begin this journey. I thank God for my friend. She is amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow, that's quite the definition of sin from Mrs. Wesley! I'm going to chew on that for quite some time now. As you strive to live a pure life, be on your guard against letting works steal your joy in the Lord...He wants our hearts, flawed though they may be, so pursue Him first and the rest will surely follow.

    ReplyDelete