Saturday, June 19, 2010

Dug Down Deep

We have all heard the story of the wise man who built his house upon the rock and the foolish man who built his house on the sand. You might have even sang the song in sunday school. The moral of the story is don't be foolish and not believe in God, be wise and believe in God, right? It is so much deeper than that. In Luke 6:46 Jesus starts out by saying: "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?" Then he goes on through verse 49 saying: "I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who builds his house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete."
Jesus isn't just talking about people who don't believe in God. He's talking about hypocrites; people who know his words and hears them, but doesn't do what he says. The first verse cuts me deep. Why do we call Him 'Lord' if we do not do what he says? In the Message version of this part of the Bible it says: "These words I speak to you are not mere additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundation words, words to build a life on." The word of God is supposed to be the foundation of my life; not just a part of my life, not just something I do part of the day or only once a week. They are what I am supposed to build my life on. How is that going for me? Am I actually reading his word? Am I listening? Am I taking it to heart and putting what he says into practice? The man who built his house upon a rock did some down right difficult stuff. It was hard labor. He had to dig down deep to set his foundation. He could have taken the easy way out like the other man and just built his house on the ground with no foundation. It would be much easier right? And the man who built his house with no foundation probably though it was a great idea. It was right on the beach, a nice view of the ocean, and he would wake up to the sound of the waves and the feel of the sand beneath his toes. Sounds wonderful right? I am sure the man who built his house with a foundation knew that the other man's way would be so much easier. But he also knew what could and would happen. He was wise. And he was wise because he listened to God's words and actually did what He said. How often do I take the easy way out? How will it cost me later? It is hard establishing your beliefs and building a foundation on Christ. It is difficult. But it is worth it. It is possible to be a Christian and live life on the surface...on the sand. You just go through the motions, but don't actually live to the fullest and for Christ. You're a hypocrite. I know. I have done this. But I am ready to dig down deep. I want a foundation. I want Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Ali, your writing is so convicting. Thank you for writing so honestly. I am so glad you are opening your life and your heart to God and letting Him shape you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to dig down deep, sis. :)
    But seriously, I love how you're really digging into scripture, rather than just scratching the surface.

    ReplyDelete